Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
• We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
• The Center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
• We have reduced the hours of operation for our HVAC system to lower our carbon footprint without negatively impacting our shoppers or retailers.
• Housekeeping uses water ionizing floor cleaning machines, which use no detergents.
• Most of our Center’s trash is sorted and placed in two separate compactors: one for recyclables and another for wet waste such as food.
• The Center has eliminated paper towels in all restrooms in order to decrease paper consumption and paper waste
• The Center has installed a white sure-flex PVC roof membrane which is Energy Star rated and LEED Certified for solar reflectivity.
• Our elevators and escalators are among the newest and most energy efficient on the market.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building